Friday, January 21, 2011

A Date With My Husband and DFFs

Did you think that was a typo? You may be thinking, oh, she meant BFFs. How nice, she is going out with her husband and best friends. Wrong. I meant DFFs. Duck Fat Fries! If you are not a foodie or have never had nor heard of duck fat fries, you may be wrinkling up your nose simply at the thought of them. I am here to tell you, YOU MUST broaden your horizons and immediately seek out a restaurant in your area that has them. Trust me on this. Please. Just trust me.

In December, before I adopted my new wonderfully healthy lifestyle *eye roll*, the hubs and I discovered perhaps one of the most delicious things you will ever put into your mouth (Insert “That’s what she said.” joke here.) But, seriously. They are to. die. for. I don’t know if all duck fat fries are this good, or if Victoria Gastro Pub in Columbia, MD has some uncanny ability to transform a mere potato into something worthy of idol worship. The fries are sprinkled with truffle sea salt (I’m not even sure I know what that is, and I don’t care) and served with a roasted garlic aioli. YUMMMMM!

Apparently, for the past week or so, my husband has been fantasizing about these fries. As soon as he mentioned them, I too began to fantasize about them. And, so, on Sunday, we will be going to a movie and lunch at Victoria, where we WILL be ordering the Duck Fat Fries (and a salad, of course). I have actually tried to find the nutritional information for these things. I even emailed the restaurant to see if they provide nutritional information. Alas, they do not. However, I did find a menu item (Duck Fat Fries with Cilantro Aioli) that I consider to be comparable at another restaurant. Here is the low down for a whole order:

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: 287g
Amount per Serving
Calories 436
Calories from Fat 220
Total Fat 24.5g
Saturated Fat 5.4g
Cholesterol 21mg
Sodium 327mg
Potassium 976mg
Total Carbohydrate 51g
Dietary Fiber 5.2g
Sugars 4.7g
Protein 5.1g
Est. Percent of Calories from:
Fat 50.6% Carbs 46.8% Protein 4.7%

I really don’t think it’s THAT bad. Besides, I won’t be eating a whole order. Or will I? Only time will tell. Obviously, the worst thing is that half of the calories come from fat. In order to prepare for this indulgence, I have not and will not take a day off from the treadmill this week. I will count my calories for the day and compensate in my other meals so that I still come out around my target. And, most importantly, I will not take use this as an opportunity to fall completely off the wagon. I will not say, as I have a tendency to do, “Oh, I ate those fries so why worry about anything else the rest of the day…week…year…life.”

I am going to eat my beloved DFFs. I am going to enjoy my DFFs. I am not going to feel guilty, and I am going to continue on my journey. If this is truly a lifestyle change I am making, I know that I will not be living a life that does not include DFFs every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment