Friday, January 7, 2011

Been There, Done That, Still Fat

Been There, Done That, Still Fat

I am pretty well-versed in various diet regimes. Here are a few that I have tried over the past 15 years:

  • Weight Watchers
  • South Beach Diet
  • Biggest Loser Club
  • Slim Fast
  • No S Diet
  • e-diets
  • Diet-to-Go
  • Changing Shape
  • cabbage soup diet
  • counting calories
  • not counting calories
  • counting grams of fat
  • not counting grams of fat
  • eating as much fat as humanly possible
  • working out, but not dieting
  • dieting, but not working out
If you are someone who has tried to lose weight on more than one occasion, then you know what I’m talking about here. Chances are there are a few more that I have left off. I have had the most success with Weight Watchers. I’ve probably gained and lost over a hundred pounds with them. When I am committed to it, it works, as most plans do. So, why not do it again? It didn’t teach me how to eat healthier overall, and I can’t see myself doing it forever. No “lifetime” designations in my future. Plus, they just changed their Points Program, and I didn’t feel like learning a whole new system.

So, what am I doing this time around? I’m sure you are just dying to know because of my incredible results so far…settle down…it’s only been five days; there are no results yet. Well, I wanted something simple and straightforward with a focus on healthy living. Of course, that also entails losing weight, but I wanted that to come as a result of being healthy without it being the primary focus. After all, it would be possible to lose weight by consuming twelve 100-calorie snack packs a day, but that wouldn’t really set up a healthy diet that was sustainable. I ended up choosing The Best Life Plan. You know the one with Bob Greene, Oprah’s guru. It seems sensible without any super crazy restrictions, and there is a huge emphasis on making changes that will become a lifestyle, not just a short term fix. (HOLD ON, not sure what just happened, I slipped into infomercial mode…sorry about that.)


My short term assessment: so far, so good. Would I still rather snack on a bag of chips than a multi-grain wrap with some cucumber, peppers, a little cheese (reduced fat…OF COURSE), a little guac, and a little salsa? The answer is decidedly YES! But the fact that I chose the wrap instead of the chips (at least for today) is a step in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment